Historical Society Inc.
Built in 1892 in the Romanesque revival style Silverwood Sand Stone from Ohio by architect Arthur La Belle.
Total cost of the building was $50,000.00 , this included the furnishings and the Smead Heating System (steam heat.)
February 24,1922 Old Stoney had a fire, only leaving the stone in tact.
Old Stoney was re-constructed and January 26,1926 was open, at a cost of $147,000.00. The price included the tunnel connecting Howard Hall and the Central Building, now the County Jail on Walnut Street.
Appraised in 1974 for $50,000.00.
February 14, 1977 Francis Lipp and Robert Hallick began working in room 205.
Old Stoney was placed on the National Register June 4,1979.
The Historical Society occupies the second floor ,8,000 plus square feet of exhibits.
Elevator was completed (fund raising by the Historical Society) 1993.
City of Frankfort purchased Old Stoney from the Frankfort School Corporation in 1995 and began renovation and establishing city offices on the first floor: Mayors Office, Clerk Treasures, City Engineer & Main Street.
The Tunnel that led to Howard Hall and the Central Building has been filled in. Thirty feet of the tunnel remains open. In the planning the tunnel will have exhibits of students passing to class in period clothing and music playing.
All rooms in Old Stoney currently (6/15/2005) are occupied.
Send mail to email@example.com, questions or
comments about this web site.